Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Perfection, the enemy of the good.

Voltaire is the great thinker who is responsible for the observation: "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Last week I made a list of difficult resolutions that included giving up the four deadly "C's": cabernet, chocolate, coffee and carbs and exercising everyday. I have done very well, but I haven't been perfect. When I am not perfect, I lose motivation, and it is easy to just give up on the project all together. I ate banana bread, indulged in red wine, and even skipped working out a couple of days. But I have still continued to run three times a week with c25k, and I have even lost a couple of pounds. Instead of going on some draconian diet, I have recommited myself to Weight Watchers, something that has worked well for me in the past. I downloaded the iphone app, and I absolutely LOVE it. It is so easy to use, and I am definitely eating less and enjoying more fruits and vegetables.

I just can't give up what I love completely. There is joy in that glass of wine, there is pleasure in that creamy cup of coffee, and ectasy in that mouthful of divine chocolate. Sure it would be better to cut it out all together, but I think I am happier beacause I am learning how to find balance, and to to mitigate the bad with something good. Balance the occasional cup of coffee with a fresh green juice for breakfast. Counteract that wonderful pasta and red wine with a couple of days of lightly steamed veggies and lots of water. Cultivate calm, breathe, slow down, savor, balance.

I am happy to report that I am already feeling SO much better. I was in pain a couple of weeks ago. Everything hurt, I was depressed, and extremely fatigued ALL the time. One thing that helped tremendously was an hour long massage that I got last week. All the pain that was in my joints is pretty much gone, and I have been sleeping better. I think that cash flow permitting, it is something I am going to have to work into my schedule at least once a month, maybe even more often when I get into the heavier marathon training.

In other news, today my kid pointed to a picture of a cow and said "MOO!"very clearly, and likewise said "QUACK!" when he saw a picture of a duck. He doesn't say many other words, just: mama, dada, hi, hey, no, O.K, and "aqua" (spanish for water, my hubby is Cuban). I know he understands way more than he can communicate, I can see the little wheels turning in his head while he soaks up everything like a little sponge. I can't wait to hear what the little guy is thinking.

My fridge, with check marks for completed workouts. Gibson Guitar 5K is in 8 weeks, on June 11th:


Next time if I am brave, maybe I'll post a "before" picture. I'm shy you know :)

Cheers for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment